Parker's 1719 Map of Smarden names two bridges: to the west Udden Bridge and in the village the modern Town Bridge is shown as Uddingham





Hasted's 1778 map gives modern Hegg Hill as Hoghill - an echo of Smarden's Saxon past






Greenwood's 1821 map shows the new Toll Road running down from Monks Hill to the village past Harbleden (now Bardleden)